Petchburi (also spelled Phetchburi, Petchaburi, Phetburi, and Petburi!), 126 km
south of Bang kok, is a channing town with a long history and a half dozen
outstanding temples. All can be easily visited on the four-hour walking tour de
Much of the city's superb art and architecture reflects its long and rich
history. Founded as a Mon city that traded with Europe during the Middle Ages,
Petchburi remained in the ort)it of the Dvaravati Kingdom until the 12th century
when it fell to theKhmers. At the end of the 13th century it was absorbed into
the emerging Thai na tion at Sukothai, and it formed part of the Ayuthaya
empire from 1350.
The present township is a treasure house of historical artifacts from nearly all
possible eras: Mon sculpture unearthed within the ancient city walls; a small
but intriguing Khmer temple in a quiet neighborhood; monastery walls gilded with
Thailand's finest Ayuthaya Period murals; Wat Mahathat's 19th-century prang; and
a hilltop palace of neoclassical inspiration.